Sunday, July 3, 2016

Collagen Supplements

 



 
There are so many supplements on the market, that it makes it easy to get caught up in the hype.  Just because a product is out there and has a following, does not mean it's necessary or safe.  Never jump on the bandwagon uneducated...do research....not from just one source but from many.  I have several trusted resources that are my 'go to' for reliable information that I have utilized for decades in my self-study.  Since most of these said supplements are promoted by a manufacturer selling their product, searching out an unbiased opinion can be frustrating and difficult.  Of course, their product is 'the best' because they want you to buy it! Stick with me on this blog...it's going to be rather lengthy!
 
Sometimes my interest in something leads me down many paths and ends up being quite time consuming, because sadly there is much conflicting information out there.  I really don't mind, I like to do the research, and then share my findings with my readers.  I figure I am not alone...if I'm interested in some particular item, there are no doubt many other people wanting to be in the know on it as well.  I have made it my mission so to speak to sift thru the hype and present simple, yet necessary details and facts so that each individual can determine if this is something for them.  What works for one person may not for someone else.  However, that being said, consistency in use will determine end results, yet keeping that in mind, most times you do get what you pay for and not all products are created equal.  This is true with probably 99.9% of sports supplements on the market.  Caveat emptor!
 
So, the purpose of this particular blog deals with collagen supplements.  It piqued my curiosity when an advertisement came across my Facebook page regarding it.  One thing that everybody shares in common is that of growing older....we are all doing that every day.  As we do this, our bodies naturally start a declining process known as aging.  Certain things just don't work like they used to. I'm sure most of us have experienced that! It's a part of life....you can accept it, embrace it, or like me, be a rebel and fight it every step of the way! *grin*  Maybe my attitude with that comes from being the youngest of seven siblings...I have a reputation to uphold! Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with doing everything you can to keep your body healthy at any age.  It's a complex duty however, as it's not just doing 'one' thing, but many.  Don't let that dissuade you however, consider it a form of 'insurance', even though there are no 100% guarantees.
 
Most people tend to blame their genes for a lot regarding their body and their health. Jack LaLanne debunked that theory in his book 'Live Young Forever', as he faced these very comments regarding his ability to age so well. (I won't go in to the detail here...read the book...it's great!)  One thing I want to mention early on is when trying something new, always allow proper time (along with consistency) to yield results.  And, just do one particular thing at a time, because if you start numerous regimens, and the results come, you won't know if it was because or one, the other, or both.  When it comes to your skin, know that the epidermis (or the surface layer) is renewed every two to four weeks.  Considering you have three main layers, the epidermis, the dermis and the hydodermis, allow 6 to 12 weeks to actually see lasting results...you've got to stick with it!  And realize it is not a once-and-done thing....it's a lifestyle change.  Why? Because you are continually growing older, so you need to make it a habit. It's a cycle, a vicious one perhaps, but a continuing cycle no less.

I am all for getting nutrients first from quality foods.  Even the most squeaky clean diet however, needs some help in the form of supplements.  That being said, do not let supplements be the 'fill in' for a poor diet....these are not a replacement for eating right, rather  they are complimentary to a well balanced diet. One of my reference sources 'Dr. Wellness' was good for background information about skin composition, but seemed to throw out the idea of getting enough collagen thru diet. I don't agree with that 100%.  As a bit of further searching, 'Health Central' was a great source of foods with adequate collagen to benefit the skin.

Really, it comes down to a lot of fruits and vegetables, and consistent consumption. So, here is the breakdown...vitamin C rich foods like oranges, lemons and strawberries, spinach, cabbage, kale, red peppers, beets, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and carrots.  There is enough variety there that it would be easy to include at least one if not several of these DAILY.  Two tablespoons of beans every day (toss those in a salad and you're good to go), Five to six prunes a day, which contain the absolute highest level of anti-oxidants you can find in a fruit, followed by blueberries.  Salmon, tuna, turkey (consume 2-3 times/week), and one tablespoon of flaxseed daily (be sure to grind up to reap the benefits)  Foods rich in sulfur such as green and black olives, cucumbers and celery are highly beneficial.  What you do not see here are any junk foods...no deep fried foods, no fast food and no soda pop.  This is exactly the diet that turned my failing health around....I speak from experience here.

One thing I gleaned in researching collagen is to apply it directly to the skin is of no benefit at all, because the molecules are too large to absorb into the skin.  However, using avocado oil in face masks and creams will aid the skin's appearance and help with fine lines and such that come as we grow older. (Oh, and consuming avocadoes daily is a good habit to take up)  And guys, this isn't just advice for the ladies...men need to take care of their skin as well! There are many collagen products on the shelves in the form of pills, powders, tablets and liquids.  The two I plan on looking further into are liquids and powders.

A little primer on collagen, 30% of protein in our body is made up of it, and the dermis is 95% collagen.  That's not only important, it's quite impressive.  There are 28 types of collagen in the human body, including type I (the stronger and tougher type) and type III (the 2nd most abundant in human tissue)  When choosing a supplement, type I should be the greater amount, and type III the lesser.  Liquid provides the greatest bioavailability, this is a critical factor in how it is digested and absorbed.  As far as potency, at least 7,000 mg. (milligrams) per serving to see worthwhile results.  Formulation.  This gets a bit more 'scientific', and having not used any of these products, I cannot tell you if all collagen supplements contain this or not, but here is what to look for: hydrolyzed marine collagen, deoxyribonucleic acid, yes....DNA...coenzyme CoQ10, ceramide, vitamin C (at least 300 mg's), hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate.  And check the source....marine (or fish) is the best.  Steer clear of collagen from China, as their standards as rather lax.

Well, this blog on collagen is by no means exhaustive, but is a good overview of the product.  Hopefully, if you are interested as I am in checking into using collagen, you will find it to be a useful springboard to aid you in purchasing the best product there is.  If you have used this, or are going to use this, please share your experience here either by commenting or email me at: rebelfittpersonaltraining@aol.com.  I would be interested in hearing from you.  I will update on what I use and the results I see.  As always, be well, live well, because living 'well' is the best revenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment